FEI Coaching Workshop, Quito (ECU) 2009
1. What is the FEI Coaching System? The FEI Coaching System (oriented towards competitions) is based on providing courses for coaches under the direction of FEI appointed Tutors who will initiate the system in developing regions.
2. Why was the System created? The FEI coaching system was created to help developing NFs to organise their own coaching structure. The system uses an agreed syllabus and helps to develop the NF's sport using local coaches. The coaches receive an FEI Certificate following their participation in an FEI Coaches Course.
3. To whom is our System is adressed? The system is aimed at Practicing Coaches in Developing Federations. They receive tuition from FEI appointed Tutors. In turn, some of our exceptionnal candidates themselves become FEI Tutors, who then go on to continue the system in their own region. Currently this is being practiced in South/Central America, Central Europe and Africa.
4. How does the System work? The courses are held on a national or regional basis . The Categorization & Financing Procedure will help you to decide which courses are most suitable for your country/region
5. Which courses?
a. The Level 1
The aim of the FEI Coaches Course (Level 1) is to cover the essential areas necessary to work competently as a Level I Coach, with an emphasis on skill development, participation and enjoyment. The Level I syllabus covers all events, and emphasises the practical aspects of coaching. Successful candidates will receive a Level I Coach Certificate of Attendance which is issued jointly by the NF and the FEI. The Level I certified coach will also be expected to understand the concept of long term planning of training and be able to plan and implement effective training sessions.
b. The Level 2
The aim of the FEI Coaches Course (Level 2) is to cover the essential areas necessary to work competently as an independent equestrian coach up to Elementary level in the short and medium term. Participants of the Level 2 course will be assessed throughout the course. If they achieve the necessary standard, they will be awarded the Level 2 Coach Certificate of Achievement, issued jointly by the FEI and NF. The Level 2 coach will be certified to teach independently.
Entry requirements for the Level 2 course include a specific Profile of Achievement on Level 1 Course, completion of a minimum of one year practical experience, submission of logbook and nomination for the Level 2 course by the FEI Tutor.
c. The Level 3
The aim of the FEI Coaches Course (Level 3) is to cover the essential areas necessary to train to compete independently national Individuals & Teams at international 3*** competition level and to assist the National Team Coach. Participants of the Level 3 Course will be assessed throughout the course, subsequent to submission of a season logbook and a written & oral exam. If they achieve the necessary standard, they will be awarded the Level 3 Coach Certificate of Competences, issued jointly by the FEI and NF.
Entry requirements for the Level 3 course include a specific Profile of Achievement on Level 2 Course, Minimum 2 years active coaching experience at 2** competition level and Attendance at 2 specific FEI workshops between Level 2 and 3 (1 workshop Technical; 1 workshop Tactical, Mental, Physical, Lifestyle)
d. The Level 1 Vaulting specific-NEW!!!
The aim of the FEI Level 1 Vaulting is to provide coaches with the ability to prepare horses and vaulters for competitions at elementary level . The Level 1 Vaulting emphasises basic skills, develop participation and enjoyment. Successful candidates will receive a Level I Vaulting Coach Certificate of Attendance which is issued jointly by the NF and the FEI. The Level I certified coach will also be expected to plan and implement effective training sessions.
The OS Programmes that are linked to the FEI Coaching Programme are:
1. Technical Courses for Coaches
2. Olympic Scholarships for Coaches
3. Development of National Sports Structure4.Olympic Scholarship for Athletes "London 2012"
For more information on all OS programmes, please refer to our Olympic Solidarity Page
a. Informative Documents:
Categorization & Financing Procedure for FEI Courses for Coaches (PDF)- New procedure on 21.12.2012 (with vaulting)
b. Documents for Coaches :